Answer: Not specifically, but here are some thoughts to consider.
- It is not good for you!
- Cancer, Heart Attack, etc.
- God gave us our bodies, as with any blessing from God, we should be good stewards.
- You will not find a verse that says you cannot do things that harm your body, but good common sense says you shouldn’t.
- It is addictive.
- The bible tells us to have self-control.
- We should try not have any addictions, because by being addicted, we are demonstrating a lack of self-control.
- What causes nicotine addiction?
- Nicotine is an addictive drug.
- It causes changes in the brain that make people want to use it more and more. In addition, addictive drugs cause unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
- The good feelings that result when an addictive drug is present — and the bad feelings when it's absent — make breaking any addiction very difficult.
- Nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break. (American Heart Association).
- The 1988 Surgeon General's Report, "Nicotine Addiction," concluded that:
- Cigarettes and other forms of tobacco are addicting.
- Nicotine is the drug that causes addiction.
- Pharmacologic and behavioral characteristics that determine tobacco addiction are similar to those that determine addiction to drugs such as heroin and cocaine.
- Costs lots of money.
- Secondhand smoke causes other people harm:
- It may stimulate addictive behavior in other people.
- It might cause you to die prematurely.
Question: Is it inherently sinful to ever use any tobacco at all?
Answer: No, but it is not that good of an idea.