- Yes, in this video he is 100% right, God has NOT prescribed raising a hand or saying a prayer as the means by which one gets "in Christ", has their sins washed away and receives the Holy Spirit.
- The only way one has their sins forgiven (as he states in his sermon) is through “repentance and baptism”.
- Most in the evangelical world ignore or misrepresent the Bible’s teaching on Baptism. I hope that Mr. Chan’s boldness to speak the truth on this topic will cause others to do the same.
- The Bible makes it very clear that one must be baptized to be saved.
- The verse that Mr. Chan referenced is (1 Peter 3:21) which states:
- "Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you-- not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience-- through the resurrection of Jesus Christ".
- Other verses that show the necessity of Baptism are:
- (Acts 22:16) 'Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.
- (Mark 16:16) "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned”.
- Francis Chan begins in this clip by asking the question “Does baptism save you?”.
- He replies to this question in a very direct way, he states:
- “I’ll just answer it biblically...even though I feel like ‘why is it even a question?’...you know, just do it, then you won’t have to worry about it...that’s my philosophy!”
- This sounds like a good philosophy to this writer as well.
- If there is one topic that is very clear in Bible is the necessity of Baptism.
- Since it says to do it; we should do it!
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Is Francis Chan right about baptism saving us?
There is a popular video floating around the internet in which the well-known preacher Francis Chan speaks on the topic of Baptism. (You can view that video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXuIvievIA0).
Francis Chan founded the very large Cornerstone Church (he has since stepped down as minister) and has authored multiple books. The most well known of all his books is “Crazy Love” which has sold many copies.
NOTE: I do not know all there is to know about Francis Chan. I have not heard many of his sermons nor have I read any of his books. This answer is not about Francis Chan the man, nor is it a review of any other of his teachings. Instead I will just review whether or not was he right in the video linked above on the topic of Baptism.
Post By Cliff Sabroe - Quotations from NASB and a sermon by Francis Chan segments of which are available on youtube and other internet sites.