- There are 3 verses in this section that help one interpret this passage
- Now concerning virgins I have no command of the Lord, but I give an opinion as one who by the mercy of the Lord is trustworthy (1 Corinthians 7:25).
- I think then that this is good in view of the present distress, that it is good for a man to remain as he is. (1 Corinthians 7:26).
- This I say for your own benefit; not to put a restraint upon you, but to promote what is appropriate and to secure undistracted devotion to the Lord. (1 Corinthians 7:35).
- It appears that this section of Scripture is Inspired Practical Advice from an Apostle on how to better endure and persevere through the severe persecution that they were going through.
- Example: In the midst of persecution why would you get married or give your daughter be married?
- Paul thinks they should be more focused on not getting killed.
- This section of Scripture is not as applicable in a culture where physical persecution is not taking place.
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
What does (1 Corinthians 7:25-38) mean? Why all the discussion about not getting married?